The ConneXion Student Conference 2010 was a huge success. We had approximately 200 in attendance Friday night and 150 on Saturday. This is a conference that has been held for the last 3 years where international students come together for a Friday night and all day Saturday for worship and teaching to connect with God and with each other. A group comes from as far away as Penang, which is in the western part of Malaysia. The meeting this year was held at Cheras Baptist Church in the Cheras area of Kuala Lumpur. Students came by bus, train, taxi, vans, cars and walking. Calvin Carr from Gainesville, Fla was the guest speaker this year. Music was provided by the Malaysia Tour Band consisting of students from Liberty University in Lynchburg, Va. The students responded well to both Calvin Carr and the Malaysia Worship Band. We were, also, privileged to have a group of approximately 30 from the United States here to help with the ConneXion Conference. They were from our home church in Durham, NC: The Summit. Some were high school students and some were college students. They were an awesome group of kids who really connected with our University students here and hopefully made friendships they will be able to continue through the years. They, also, made connections for us to follow up with to be able to share with for the time they are here going to school.
| Calvin Carr - Speaker |
| Malaysia Worship Band |
Friday night Calvin spoke to the students about “Man’s Search for Happiness” using Ecclesiastes where Saul searched for happiness in wisdom, pleasures, wealth and wanton pleasures. He challenged them to examine where they are finding their happiness and are they truly happy with the results.
Saturday morning Calvin talked about the “Resurrection of Jesus” using 1 Corinthians 15:12-20. Revealing how we can know that Christ actually rose from the dead using written testimony, oral testimony, physical evidence and the changed lives of His followers.
Sunday evening Calvin concluded “Why Follow Jesus” basing his talk on Mark 1:16 saying Jesus calls, challenges and changes forever. He then left the students with a challenge:
"Will anybody’s life in Malaysia be different because I am here?”
That was definitely a challenge to me as I have given up a lot to follow what I believe is a call on our lives. I do not want to look back over the 3 years we were here and wonder “what have I done?” I want there to be students here who can say when they leave “I am different than when I came here” and I want them to be able to know that other’s lives have been changed because of them. I want to be faithful to share and disciple those that are placed in my life for such a short time.
I know there were 3 professions of faith as a result of this conference. I pray that those who came already changed by Jesus will realize the call He has placed on their life even if it means leaving something behind to follow that call and to rise to the challenge of letting God do something special with their life.
Saturday afternoon, Cheras Baptist Church provided us with a wonderful lunch which was followed by break out sessions on Facebook and Faith, What is this Christianity, Witnessing in the Workplace and Sharing Your Faith. Also, there were breakout sessions that were for girls only and guys only covering material sensitive to each sex.
![]() |
| Our delicious lunch provided by Cheras Baptist Church |
![]() |
| Girls Only Break Out Session |
![]() |
| Facebook and Faith |
Below are glimpses of the faces and images of ConneXion 2010.
Students from all nationalities coming together to encourage each other!





















No comments:
Post a Comment