Official Invitation to our first wedding in Malaysia
We had to ask around to find out if there were any special instructions for us as we attend the wedding since there was nothing in English.
We actually wren’t even sure what kind of wedding it was.
We found out that it is a Tamil Muslim wedding.
Tamil background:
I like to give background info on anything that I blog about which would not be common knowledge for you.....however, after much search, I was not able to find out much about the ceremony that we witnessed. So I am going to include what background I could find on Tamil Indian Muslims....
Tamil Muslims are identified by a common language and religion. They are ethnic emigrant communities found in Malaysia (as well as other countries) primarily originally from Tamil Nadu (a state in Southern India) and the NE region of Sri Lanka. Although most Tamils are Hindu there are sizable numbers who are Christian and Muslim.
They make up about 2.6 percent of the population here in Malaysia.
In Malaysia they are known as Mamak.....although this is a benign term, it is often used as a derogatory term for the Indian Muslim community in Malaysia.
They practice monogamy.
The males are circumcised.
They retain their birth names after marriage.
They make up about 2.6 percent of the population here in Malaysia.
In Malaysia they are known as Mamak.....although this is a benign term, it is often used as a derogatory term for the Indian Muslim community in Malaysia.
They practice monogamy.
The males are circumcised.
They retain their birth names after marriage.
The Indian Tamil ended up in Malaysia when in the 18th century, the British sent many poor Tamils as indentured laborers to far off countries.
Many Tamils living in Malaysia have retained much of their culture and language. Many Malaysian Tamil children attend Tamil schools and a significant percentage learn Tamil as their first language.
The ceremony we were invited to was a Tamil wedding ceremony.
The ceremony we were invited to was a Tamil wedding ceremony.
We were invited to this celebration (I understand it was not the actual wedding ceremony but the reception...I am not sure when the actual wedding happened) by one of the parking attendants at the church we attend here in Subang Jaya. I was a little apprehensive as I knew it would be outdoors and I, also, knew that Muslim culture required certain clothing for females. As we approached the neighborhood where the reception was I noticed there were only women there in traditional muslim garb.....so I sent Dennis and Nathan there to check it out and ask if I should be wearing complete covering.....as we were told before hand to come dressed as we would normally go to church.
We went with another young man from church, Nathan who is from Nigeria. Dennis and I were the only white faces there and Natan was the only African there. We were, also, the only ones there wearing traditional western culture clothing. There were many in Indian Saris but the majority were wearing traditional Muslim clothing. They were gracious and very accommodating to us. We were treated with honor and respect even though there were many times questioning looks in our direction. Our questions were answered honestly and as well as they could be with the little English that was spoken. We were allowed to take pictures freely and were even given places of honor when it came to observing the bride and bridegroom. It was a very hot and interesting afternoon.
The invitation set the time from 12 to 4. What we were told is that you come either from 12 to 2 and eat before the bride and groom get there or you come from 2 to 4 and eat while the bride and groom were there. We chose to go beforehand as Nathan had to be at work at 6.
The invitation set the time from 12 to 4. What we were told is that you come either from 12 to 2 and eat before the bride and groom get there or you come from 2 to 4 and eat while the bride and groom were there. We chose to go beforehand as Nathan had to be at work at 6.
Enjoy the pictures as I tried to capture the afternoon through my camera’s eye....
The tents were set up:

the food was prepared:



the tables were set:


I am so glad I observed what to do with these pots of water before I picked one up and filled my tea cup with it!

Indians do eat with their hands....however, we were given silverware but we were the only ones using them.
Favors were ready and set on the tables:


It was a sweet of some sort
The car was ready:

the wedding party table was set and waiting:




The ceremonial arch was in place

The front room had been cleared out and ready for the ceremony:

the guests were arriving:
The tents were set up:
the food was prepared:

the tables were set:
I am so glad I observed what to do with these pots of water before I picked one up and filled my tea cup with it!

Indians do eat with their hands....however, we were given silverware but we were the only ones using them.
Favors were ready and set on the tables:
It was a sweet of some sort
The car was ready:
the wedding party table was set and waiting:




The ceremonial arch was in place

The front room had been cleared out and ready for the ceremony:
the guests were arriving:
I believe the woman with the blue head covering was the mother of the bride....but I am not completely sure.
I love the way the women greeted each other......They would hug and then take their right hand and put it over their heart....every time they greeted one another.

The one who invited us.....I am still not sure if he was the groom’s dad or the bride’s dad.
Now where are the bride and groom?
Here they come!!!
They park a block down and the party walks up
the block to a ceremony under the arbor and then into the room with the king and queen chairs
I don’t know what went on in this room as people were trying to crowd in. They were nice to let me in to take a picture but I felt it would not be right of me to stay and keep someone else from being in the room. So I snapped this picture and then left.
However, you can enjoy some pics I took of the ceremony and of the people attending.
What an experience. It was a very hot and humid day and by the end of the 2 1/2 hours we were there I was drench. I was not fully covered as these women were. I do not know how they can breathe with all of that garb around their neck
and head in this weather!
They were a beautiful couple, seemingly in love with each other, that had lots of family and friends witnessing the beginning of their life together but yet what will their eternity be like?
Romans 3;21-25a
But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the prophets testify.
This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.
God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement through the shedding of His blood -- to be received by faith.
...til next time...
















No comments:
Post a Comment