Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My little piece of heaven!

This is a blog about me and my own little piece of heaven!
Dennis and I have become known around the neighborhood as scavengers.  We will pick up pretty much anything we think will be usable from the side of the road.  Also, people donate to us things they are getting rid of and perhaps they have even found on the side of the road. 
Dennis came home one day and said he saw a desk on the side of the road........was I interested?!
Well, I needed a desk, we didn’t have extra fund to buy one, so I said - “Sure, let’s go look at it”.  Off we went.  It was definitely not much to look at - it had seen it’s better days but, hey, I am up for a challenge.  You should have seen the stares we got from those dining in the open air restaurant right there and the hordes of people who came driving by.  We were trying to stuff this desk into the back of our little KIA Sportage.  The desk was actually disgusting but I needed a desk.
Sure wish I had my camera with me to document all this action!
The desk was in worse shape than we thought when we got it home and started looking at it..  The top and sides were veneered and we decided to just pull the veneer off as it was buckled, warped and had some water damage.  


It then took us a couple of weeks to find a hardware store that actually carried any sort of lumber.  We finally found someone who led us to a hardware store a couple of streets over that had plywood.  They would even cut it to the size we needed.  So Dennis being the handyman that he is got to gluing the plywood to the top, outside side and inside side.
While waiting for the glue to dry, we got the drawers cleaned up, washed them down and vacuumed the desk out - it was yucky!
Once dry and drawers cleaned we (or should I say - I) got to painting.  I am in love with the color black on furniture - so needless to say I painted the desk black.  The paint here is very thick so it only took 2 coats.  I then sanded off some to make it look old and used.  I think brushed stain all over the whole desk and left it on (I did not wipe any of it off).  It took a couple of days for that to completely dry and then I polyurethaned it - 3 coats.  This is the finished product:


My point in going through all of that?  To get to my little piece of heaven.  We have an office area off of our kitchen and it had become a storage room of sorts.  We decided it was time to make it our office.  I have a little portion of the room that is all my own and this is how it looks:



It is just a little alcove in the room but it is all my own!  We have added a small air con unit and I can go in there and shut out the world - except what I can connect to through FB and email!
I am working on a shelving unit to go in there, also.  AND I do have to share the room with Mr. D!
Pictures of the bookcases will follow as I am almost through with those.
We have been doing lots of makeovers with our donated and found furniture.  Hope to be through with all of them by THanksgiving.  Pictures will be sure to follow.
Don’t be jealous of my little piece of heaven!  Just create your own!
-til next time-

1 comment:

Debra Miller said...

Wow -- an amazing transfirmation -- such patience working on that desk, but it looks beautiful now. I especially love your entire area you created for yourself!

Post a Comment