Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Fun Times with the Students

Our work here is to mingle with University Students from the universities around us.  As I have stated in a previous blog, we are surrounded by several universities:  
Inti


Metropolitan 
(which are now combined as one has bought out the other)


 Taylor 


Taylor Lakeside


Alpha, Monash and others. We meet a lot of the students from the English Language School.
 It is hard to just target one or two compuses as they all hang out together and are all around the general area.

We have a Connexion Group Meeting on Tuesday Nights where we play games, sing some worship songs and have a light devotional message..we then fellowship with food!
We play games, sing our national anthems (interesting to see who doesn’t know theirs...no names mentioned here!), practice the African dances, see who can do the most push ups, chat, and just generally hang out until we tell the students we (Dennis and I) have to go to bed!


We meet Thursday nights for a Bible Study with dinner.  We all eat together and the guys go upstairs with Dennis and the girls and I stay downstairs.  
The girls and I have just finished a study of the Spiritual Disciplines of the Christian Life.  Starting mid January when everyone returns from the holiday break, we will be begin The Purpose Driven Life. 
Ellen (China), Siyin (China)
NoNo (Botswana), Sean (Malaysia)
Bianca (Botswana), Michael (Ghana), Valerie (Botswana)
Biance, Michael, Catherine (Botswana), Dennis
Bianca, Michael and Valerie
Bianca, Michael
Catherin (Botswana), Sean (Malaysia)
Angel (Botswana)

Catherine, Radiance (East Malaysia), Joyce (Botswana)
and Valerie
We have had chicken pot pie, spaghetti, meatball subs, macaroni and cheese with hot dogs, shredded bar-b-que chicken, pizza, other American foods and the students have cooked for us allowing us to enjoy:

Botswana Delicacies:
Fried Bread
Lamb Stew
Chockalaka - a hot vegetable salad
Ghana Fare:
Jollef Rice

We, also, have fun activities that we center around the kids.....I have done blogs on the Chinese Lantern Festival, the Putrajaya trip and bowling.  IF you are interested in pictures of those.....check those blogs

In addition, we go to anything they invite us to.....
We have eaten lunch several times at the culinary restaurants at Taylor Lakeside University
The students are divided into 8 teams and when one team serves the corresponding team cooks the meal.  There are 4 restaurants:
Tarragon, Truffles, Tangerine, Thyme






Even though the servers are nervous, the service is first class.  We always have Max as our server (because his girlfriend Jenny invites us). Meats are sometimes cut tableside and the desserts are made tableside when called for.
The table settings are beautiful and set like a 5 star restaurant.
Food is delicious, bread is fresh, coffee is hot!  
Some of the best food I have had since I’ve arrived.





















Meals at the Restaurants:


1st Meal
Chick Pea and Lentil Soup
Petite Beef Tenderloin
Scalloped Potatoes
Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce
Cream Puffs drizzled with chocolate sauce
(No pictures....sorry to say...it was beautiful as well as delicious)


2nd Meal
Split Pea Soup
Chicken Breast with Black Peppercorn Sauce
Petite Roasted Potatoes
Grilled Vegetables
Pineapple Flambe



3rd Meal
Pasta with Roasted Red Pepper Cream Sauce
Lamb Chops with Warm Chick Pea Salad
Peach Flambe




 We have been to a Mid Autumn Festival at Inti College




The Emcees for the Night of Fun 



There were food booths
There were game booths 

I got a Henna Tatoo

There was lots of musical entertainment












 We went to their Halloween Celebration at Inti College 


Dennis and Nick (East Malaysia)


Contest to make the best mummy 
Dennis and Michael (Malaysia)

Dennis finally has a head of hair!


and a musical presentation put on by the drama/music classes at Inti.
Michael (Malaysia) 
Tee Lim (Malaysia) 
Michael 
Nick (East Malaysia)
We were invited to a Botswana Independence Day Celebration at Limkokwing University by our students from Botswana.




Traditional Dance


Love seeing the women in their headdress, traditional dress and clothing made from material from their country.







We have visited the Christian Fellowships at Inti/Metropolitan College, Alpha College and Taylor Lakeside.  We want to get to know the young men and women who love the Lord.  These groups are student led from start to finish and are attended by young men and women who want to see their campuses won for Christ.  They have been a delight to get to know.  They, also, are willing to help us with any computer issues we have in starting our blogs, Facebook pages to help us get things out more readily to the students.


We have even exercised with the students.  I will have to be honest and say that Dennis has done that more than me!
Love/Hate relationship with these “things"
Michael, our beloved trainer
The gym at church 
You can do it! 
YEAH! 
I am totally embarrassed that I have
to include this photo but it is the only
proof I have that I go there!


A full gym
The buff Dennis comparing muscles
with Michael, the trainer!  Who do you
think has the biggest muscles?
Our African students have been asked twice to participate in the worship service at our church...FBC Subang Jaya.  
One Sunday they sang special music for one song 


 Recently they were asked to lead the entire musical worship.  They were wonderful and certainly added their African flair to it.   We are hoping to get them to lead music at a couple of other churches near us.  They love to sing for the Lord.  We want to help them use their talents for His glory.






We have broken bread many times with students.  Below are some pictures of us doing just that
exactly what it looks like.....CHICKEN FEET or is it FOOT?
Carrot Juice and Greens
Grilled Chicken FIsh 
















Don’t ask me the names of any of these dishes because I do not know....and even if I knew I am sure I would not get the pronunciation right.  Would I eat them again?  Some, sure but not all of them!
And, oh by the way, I DID NOT eat the chicken foot!

...till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment